Based on the latest release from the Medical Devices Authority in Malaysia, a few home test kits have received conditional approval for self-testing at home. The main purpose of the test kit is to allow the mass to conduct a screening test themselves at home without needing the help of a medical professional to perform a nasopharyngeal swab.
The individual test kit set uses saliva / a swab in the mouth and tongue to collect samples, then placed into a mixing container containing the mixing reagent. The mixture is then dropped into a testing cassette with 2 indicators, C and T, to tell you if you are positive/negative for Covid-19. The test results will be out after 15 minutes.
All approved Covid-19 test kits in Malaysia will need to have a sensitivity rate of over 80% (successful in detecting antigen), as well as a specificity of over 97% (successful in confirming it’s Covid-19 virus and not another virus).
The home rapid test kit is only meant for screening. If found to be positive, head over to the nearest Covid-19 Assessment Centre for further confirmation using the RT-PCR test.
You can view here the updated list of approved Home Test Kit from the Medical Device Authority Website.
List of Self Test Covid-19 Test Kit for Conditional Approval (Approved)
- Gmate Covid-19 Ag Saliva for Home Use
- Salixium COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test Saliva/Nasal Swab Samples
- ALLTEST COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test for Self Testing (Oral Test)
- BERIGHT-COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Device (Oral Fluid)
- JusChek COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test (Oral Fluid)
- Longsee 2019-nCoV Ag Rapid Detection Kit
- Sichuan Xincheng SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Assay
- Flowflex™ SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (Self-testing)
- STANDARD Q COVID-19 Ag Saliva Home Test
- ProDetect ™ COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test (Saliva)
- NEWGENE Bioengineering COVID-19 Antigen Detection Kit
- COVID-19 Antigen Detection Kit (Colloidal Gold) Self Test Kit
- GRUENBANKA SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Detection Kit (Colloidal Gold Method)
- Humasis COVID-19 Ag Home Test (Self-Test)
- LYHER® Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Antigen Test Kit (Colloidal Gold)
- Beright™ SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (Nasal Swab) For Self-testing
- Roche SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Self-Test Nasal
- ARISTA™ COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test
- Whistling™ Test 2019-nCoV Saliva Ag Easy Test
*Thought the title says 18, we only have 17 listed. The list released by MDA has 2 different suppliers for the same brand, Alltest. Hence we chose to just list it 1 time.
Which type of COVID-19 test kit is more reliable?
All the Covid-19 Rapid Tests that are approved by MDA are reliable (with sensitivity and specificity over 90%). However, due to a shortage of stock, it would be recommended that you can just try to get any brands from your nearest pharmacy as a backup. If you need to make a bulk purchase, let us know so we can help you source for them.
How much does the Covid-19 Self-test kit Cost?
As announced by the government, the ceiling price for each self-test kit is set at RM39.90.
On 2nd September 2021, KKM has revised the new ceiling price for the Home test kit to be set as RM19.90 whilst the wholesale price is announced to be RM16. This will be effective from the 5th September 2021 onwards.
There are discounts if you wish to purchase them in bulk, some start at 6 units, whilst others may offer an even better price from 20 units onwards. Contact us if you want to get a quote from a Covid-19 Rapid test kit Supplier.